Sunday 28 April 2019

Holiday reading challenge 2019 term 1

This holidays we were tasked to write a book review and a make a google drawing explaining the book but not giving to many details away.  I wrote in the first paragraph my version of a what you could call a book blurb.  It just gives you an idea of what the book is about.  We had a success criteria which needed to include these things -
The title of the book written correctly
The author of the book written correctly
A brief description of what the book is about.
I have used descriptive language to help engage the reader
Included an illustration
I  have posted it on my blog
Comment if I have done all those things!



Here is my book review explaining my personal opinion on the book and more details on it.


-Book Blurb 
When my Mother named me she must have been thinking of a lucky four - leafed clover. Clover Moon lives in a grimy backstreet of Victorian London, with six younger siblings, her wary Father and sharp - tongued uncaring Stepmother. Sparky and imaginative clover is quite to learn her letter and loves to paint and draw. But, despite her talents she in condemned to life as a household skivvy. Then a chance of meeting with an artist gives her an inspiring glimpse of another world and an idea of how she might find it... 

Title: Clover Moon
Author: Jacqueline Wilson
Age Recommendation: 11-13.
This book is set in older times therefore I think some language used in the book and overall the story, may be harder for younger children to understand.
Main Characters: Clover Moon
Who this book may interest: I personally think this book would interest girls more than boys because to me it seems that many boys may not be very interested in a book of a young girls journey to a better life in which she is helped by a home for destitute girls. But of course in the end it depends on every individuals interests.
My Opinion: I loved this book because it gave me a sense of how it was for many children in the Victorian times and how strong Clover was to have made many wrong turns but also many very important right turns. It was a very realistic story and all the problems in the book blended together so smoothly, also incorporating Hetty from another series of Victorian times that Jacqueline has written.

 -Ella

2 comments:

  1. Great job Ella! You were very lucky to get a book from your favourite author and a title you haven't read. I enjoy reading historical fiction too because it gives you a great idea of how different life use to be while enjoying a good story.
    Mrs Hahn

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.