Wednesday 19 December 2018

Summer learning Journey Week 1 Day 3

Activity 1: Fantastic Beasts [4 points]

In New Zealand we have many unusual animals. One of the most unusual is the kiwi bird - a bird that does not have wings and can not fly. Pretty strange, eh?! J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, has recently written a new book about strange or unusual animals called ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.’
For this activity, please watch this cool book trailer. Year 7 and Year 8 students in South Auckland, New Zealand helped to make it. Once you have watched the video, use your imagination and create your very own beast. What does your beast look, smell, feel, and sound like?

On your blog, post a description of your beast. Use interesting adjectives (describing words) to tell us about your beast.

The Malignadod!

The mystical creature, Malignadod lives in the forest of balignadodical.
They are oval in shape quite similar to that of a lemon, their aquamarine hair
sticks up in all directions right from the back of their neck to the top of their
eyebrows. They don’t have fur however their skin feels like a peach, fluffy and
soft.  If you ever encounter a Malignadod you will be greeted by a deafening
screech that could severely affect your hearing, in worst cases cause you to
go deaf. But don’t be fooled by their friendly appearance they will bat their
neon pink at you and holds out its hand for you to shake. When threatened
these abnormal beasts have a peculiar way of protecting themselves, they tilt
their head back at an alarming angle and squirt lemon juice out of their
nostrils, then a strong sizzling sound erupts from inside them and a bright
green laser beam shoots out of their belly button destroying anything in its
path.  Fear not, as the forests of Balignadodical are located both North and
South of Russia, and if you ever visit one of these forests you will die from
the severe odour of rotten goose eggs that the vivid orange trees give off.
-Ella

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ella,

    Wow, you have really created one fantastic beast, I'm really impressed! I think Newt Scamander (the main character from the Fantastic Beasts movie) would also be super impressed, well done Ella! You have done a wonderful job of using adjectives to describe your beast, I can picture it in my head clearly so thank you for that. I wish I had aquamarine hair, it is such a nice and vibrant colour and it also happens to be my favourite! Do you think Malignadod would let me touch its fluffy and soft skin? Maybe when it's asleep? I'm interested to see what it feels like. I wouldn't want it to screech and deafen me though, so maybe I will just watch Malignadod from a distance. What do these creatures like to eat or do? I hope humans aren't part of their diet! As beautiful and majestic as these creatures are, I'm glad they live far, far away from us! I would most definitely not enjoy smelling rotten goose eggs everywhere I went although it would be nice to see their vivid orange colour. Another amazing blog post from you, Ella, keep it up!

    Evelyn :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ella

    Its Allie from the SLJ team. This is an incredible piece of creative writing. I agree with Evelyn that this creature would fit into the Fantastic Beast series without a doubt. Newt would be super impressed by what you have created.
    Well done Ella you are a super star. Keep up the awesome work and I look forward to reading more of your work over the summer.
    I hope that you have had a great start to the holidays.

    Well done Ella

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Ella,

    I am Mele from Panmure Bridge School. I come from a school that is apart of the Manaiakalani Cluster. I am currently going to read and comment on your blog. Your beast sure sounds interesting. I'd like to see it sometime.

    NICE!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.