Tuesday 18 December 2018

Top 3 Fun Facts Summer Learning Journey - Week 1 Day 1

This year I am participating in the Summer Learning Journey each day we can complete tasks that earn us points, and maybe take home a prize.  

Today's Activity- 

DAY 1: In the Beginning...


Activity 1: The Legend of New Zealand [4 points]

According to Māori mythology, much of Aotearoa New Zealand was formed when Māui, a powerful demigod, fished it out of the sea. Legend has it that Māui created a magical fish hook from the jawbone of his grandmother and that one day he took his hook, boarded a boat, and rode out into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Once at sea, he threw his magical hook into the water and caught a fish. This ‘fish’ was actually the North Island of New Zealand! In honour of this legend, the North Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Ika a Māui or ‘Māui’s fish’ and the South Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Waka a Māui or ‘Māui’s canoe’.
To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ in your own words.


My First Fact:
1. Aotearoa is the Maori name for New Zealand which also shares the same meaning as long white cloud. Imagine calling our country long white cloud!

My Second Fact:
2. New Zealand's official language is English and Maori! Can you speak both of these languages?

My Third Fact:
In New Zealand the biggest city which is Auckland is not the capital Wellington is!

I hope you enjoyed these top three facts leave a comment!




3 comments:

  1. Hi Ella its Reagan from Awahono school I didn't no about some of those facts it was very interesting

    Come to my blog
    http://awahonoreaganh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ella,

    I'm Evelyn and I will be working with the Summer Learning Journey team for 2018-2019 to read and follow amazing blog posts like yours! I am so excited to read what pops into that wonderful brain of yours and hope you have fun on this journey!

    Those are some interesting facts about New Zealand! You are absolutely correct, the official languages of our country is English and Maori but there is one more, do you think you could find out what our third official language is? I actually wish I could learn our third official language but I can only speak English and Mandarin. What languages do you speak or wish to learn? largest city is Auckland and it's where I live! Auckland is very different to the other cities of New Zealand. There are less farm land and more shopping malls. Have you ever been to Auckland? We have the Sky Tower here, it's the tallest freestanding tower in the Southern Hemisphere so it's really high! Are you scared of heights? Do you think you would like to go up the Sky Tower? I've been up twice and the view is great! You can also bungy jump off the side of the tower but I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to do that. Would you ever bungy jump?

    Happy blogging,
    Evelyn :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ella,

    It's Mele again from Panmure Bridge School. This is the last activity that I will be commenting on so far. I've enjoyed reading and commenting on your SLJ activities. All of these facts are interesting. I love them all. I come from a school that is apart of the Manaiakalani Cluster and I loved commenting on your work.

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.