Tuesday 18 December 2018

Day 2 Summer Learning Journey Week 1

DAY 2: Forest Life

Activity 1: Giants Among Us [4 points]

New Zealand has a really special environment. Many of the plants and trees found in New Zealand are not found anywhere else in the world. These plants and trees are endemic to our country.  In New Zealand, one of the largest and longest living endemic trees is the NZ Kauri tree. Kauri are mainly found in three regions of New Zealand: the Coromandel, Auckland and Northland. The largest Kauri tree in the country is in the Waipoua Forest in Northland. It is called Tāne Mahuta. Some people refer to it as the ‘Lord of the Forest.’
Thousands of people go to visit Tāne Mahuta every year. Would you like to be one of those people who got to see Tāne Mahuta in real life? Why or why not?
On your blog, tell us whether you would like to go and visit Tāne Mahuta one day. Be sure to tell us why you do (or do not) want to visit this endemic tree.


I do not want to go and visit the Tane Mahuta tree because I feel like it would be a waste of time, and I would have better things to do than go and see a tree.

I feel like it is an awfully long way to go for me to see a tree that I can see pictures of online. If I was around the area I would probably go and see the tree, but I just feel like looking at trees isn't a very interesting thing to do.

-Ella







3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Ella,

    You have made a good point, Tāne Mahuta is indeed very far from where you live so I can understand why you wouldn't like to make the trip all the way up there to see it. If you ever go up north and happen to be in the area you may like to pop by and check it out though. Sure, we have access to photos and videos online but to experience it in real life is not the same. Do you like to go outside to play or go hiking with your friends and family? I enjoy going on a hike every once in a while to take in some fresh air since I live in Auckland and it's a busy city!

    Best,
    Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malo E Lelei Ella,

    This is a great blog post about your Tane Mahuta thinking. Well done for finishing another activity. You have great reasons for why you won't go and visit the Tane Mahuta and I understand. The image looks tall and nice.

    NICE:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talofa Lava Ella,

    Excellent Post! I liked the reasons of why you chose to say no to visit the one and only Tane Mahuta. Your reasons are really cool and are completed super well, great job. If I got the chance to visit the Tane Mahuta tree I would say yes as I like going on walks and the way the trees move to give us a lot of air, which is really brezzy and nice.

    Overall I loved the post and I can't wait to see more. Keep up the awesome post and hope to see more from you soon.

    Do you ever walk or travel in and up the bushes/trees/grass?

    From,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.