Monday 18 December 2017

# 11 Summer Learning Journey

This Summer my school (Awahono School) are taking part in the Summer Learning Journey, where each week we get assigned three activities to complete and then to put on our blogs.  Activity information down below--

Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

You could try playing some of the games with a friend.

The name of the game I have chosen is Poi Rakau.
The purpose of the game is to catch the stick beside you before it falls.
Two rules to the game are, 1 you aren't allowed to push your stick down. 2 you have to go out when you drop your stick.

I have played this game before and it is very fun.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella

    I like this one too. I can remember playing this game as a kid myself. It has been a favourite in school for a long time.
    How did you go when you played it? Did you find it hard or easy?
    I used to drop them to start off with, but I got better the more that I practised.

    Well done Ella

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.