Monday 18 December 2017

# 12 Summer Learning Journey

This Summer my school (Awahono School) are taking part in the Summer Learning Journey, where each week we get assigned three activities to complete and then to put on our blogs.  Activity information down below--

Make sure to check out my blog in a couple of days to see more posts like this one.

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.

Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika


On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.

I rate the first one Tamatea Arkinui a two because I loved the way the women used the poi and they also had very good voices and showed lovely facial expressions throughout, though I think the boys could have been a little bit more involved in the performance.

The second one I rate it a 1 because the singing was beautiful and strong and the transformations were beautiful, and the use of the instrument in the middle was unique.

The third one I rate a three because I loved the fact that it was dedicated to somebody special in their lives and I could see that they really put their heart and soul into it.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella

    These festivals are such great events. The commitment that they put into getting ready for each performance is very special. The singing is amazing and the hours of practise that they must do is huge.
    I like that one is dedicated to someone that is special to the group. I think it makes you perform even better when it has more meaning with the song.
    Good feedback for the first group. I wonder if they were told that after they had performed.

    Well done. I hope you are enjoying doing all the activities. You are certainly having a very busy first day.

    Good work

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.