Monday 18 December 2017

#2 Summer Learning Journey

This Summer my school (Awahono School) are taking part in the Summer Learning Journey, where each week we get assigned three activities to complete and then to put on our blogs.  Activity information down below--


The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Task:
Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…

Make sure to check my blog again in a couple of days to see more posts like this one.




36 Courtney Pl


Wellington Harbour


Aotearoa

To My Dearest Hohepa


First of all I’m extremely sorry about this awful handwriting, the seas are still very choppy and it’s rather hard to write neatly.  I must say the waves have become much much calmer after last night’s thrashing, it was probably the roughest it’s ever been on this journey and quite frankly the scariest it’s ever been.  The waka was jerking side to side constantly and sea foam sprayed over us every time we hit a big wave, and I tell you, there were a lot of those times when we hit those big waves.  As I’m writing this all I can think about is how much I miss you,, I know you’re going to say I’m over reacting, but it’s hard not to when I haven’t seen you in weeks and I don’t know what you are doing.  I know that you must be having the time of your life in Aotearoa, and I’d hate to dampen your excitement, but there is some very sad news that I must share with you.  Uncle Heke drowned in the big storm last night, and I’m so terribly sorry my boy, but we couldn’t save him as hard as we tried.  Just remember to be strong and know that he will always be there buried deep down in your heart, watching over you.  Anyway, enough about me, how’s Aotearoa  I hope you’re enjoying it as much as I think you are.  That’s all for now Hohepa, I could write and write, but I’m running out of paper, and I must start my turn at rowing now. I will write again as soon as possible.


Love you my boy

From Dad xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella

    Wow!! great piece of writing. You write with such emotion it is just fantastic.
    I actually felt really sad reading it.
    I love the descriptions that you use about sailing in the choppy water. I could almost feel how that must have been. I also really liked that you apologised for having bad handwriting!! that was just great, very realistic.

    Well done Ella

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.